Palestine-Israel Learning Tour
As part of Mennonite Church Canada’s call to prayer and discernment on Israel-Palestine, Missions, Peace & Justice Ministry invited anyone interested to consider participating a Palestine-Israel Learning Tour June 17-30. We are pleased to announce that Alina Balzerson will be participating in this pilgrimage on behalf of Stirling. We gratefully acknowledge a $500 grant from Mennonite Church Eastern Canada to support Stirling’s congregational-based learning initiative, and are pleased to further support this through Stirling’s MissionTravel Fund. Please pray for Alina as she prepares to be our eyes and ears on this trip. We look forward to sending and blessing Alina on May 27.
A call for study and discernment
As a follow up to a November 12, 2017 Peace Sunday visit from Rabbi David Mivasair, Stirling created settings to further explore topics raised in his presentation. One setting was a series in adult faith formation in January and early February 2018. During the series, the following resources were identified to aid in the ongoing process of study and discernment:
- The Parliamentary ePetition for Peace In Palestine
- MCC’s Cry for Home (Israel/Palestine) campaign. This site has basic information and background as well as some engaging videos.
- Several columns that report and comment on the MCC campaign: A Cry for Home and A Cry for Home; Some Jewish views.
- MCC Canada letter on Jerusalem.
- A CBC opinion piece published in January of this year.
In an adult Faith Formation class on January 28, Kathy Bergen shared from her extensive experience in Palestine/Israel. She recommended the following resources:
- a list of ideas on what we can do in response to the situation
- specific suggestions on how to respond through a boycott of certain products
- the website of the Mennonite Palestine Israel Network (MennoPIN)
- "Come and See" - a Palestine-Israel Learning Tour Opportunity, June 17-30, 2018.